Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Party Game Sundays: Wacky World of Sports

I originally started this feature to tell the world all about the terrible games we were playing every single Sunday, but somehow we haven't played anything that was offensively bad since then. This past Sunday we continued with our surprisingly good games trend. I was told to pick a game out of the pile of games that Landers has at his disposal, and I chose Wacky World of Sports.


Looking at this box art I made an educated guess about the game. I figured it was a mini-game collection that was super terrible, but it was trying to overshadow that fact with it' over the top anime art style. Instead what I got was a surprisingly weird, but competent sports themed mini-game collection with an over the top anime art style.

Okay, I guess I use the term sports lightly, because none of the games are really sports, but they kind of are. There are ten of them, which range from things that could actually be considered sports like pole vaulting, to fanciful madness like rhythm based ironing. There are ten games, and each have a few variations. Surprisingly the variations actually make each mini-game seem different. For example one of them has the characters tossing fish as far as they can, while the first variation of it has you throwing the fish at specific targets to gain points. 

Get ready to toss some tuna!

I guess I've just become so used to Wii games having terrible controls, so it's always surprising to me when mini-game collections specifically control well. There wasn't a single time in this game that I felt like I wasn't performing because the controls were working against me. The only issue was with the instructions. Prior to each game the loading screen shows small icons with the wii-mote making the correct motion. The problem is that it's not always easy to understand, but we figured them all out eventually.

I actually really liked this game. The sports were all wacky just as they were advertised. My personal favorite was boxing. It starts off like regular boxing. You can throw out punches, block, and dodge. Dodging slows down time and allows for a counter attack. Where it gets weird is that at the end of each round a table appears in the ring and you take turns playing memory with cards. If you match seven pairs then you automatically win the round. If the matching round ends without a winner, then you have to go back to beating each other down. Extreme ironing was also quite fun. You're skydiving, while ironing. You gain points by thrusting the wii-mote and pushing A in accordance with the music that's playing. They're all just super weird and kind of creative games.

It took us a while to figure out the cheese rolling,

Sure, the games are fun, but my favorite thing about the whole game is the art style, which really contributes to the wacky world. Apparently in this alternate world the Wacky World of Sports is an organization and you're trying to become the new champion. In the beginning you can only choose from four equally ridiculous characters. One is a ninja, whose name is Sasuke. As you can probably imagine he speaks in a terrible Asian accent. I personally played as the weird lolli girl, because I always have to be the pretty lady when I play these types of games. Landers played as the huge lumberjack who seemed like he had some type of mental deficiency. He begins each game by saying "it's axing time", but it sounded suspiciously like "it's sexy time."

As you play through the game's story mode you can unlock additional characters who are all equally stupid. I personally really like the highfalutin British guy who's way into cheese rolling and always says "Upperclass". Somehow the art style meshes really well with the crazy world the game is trying to create. 

His name is Sasuke, but he looks like Naruto. Get it!?

Wacky World of Sports was actually legitimately fun, which was the exact opposite of what I expected from it. Next week I'll try my best to pick a bad game, because I feel like we've been on a good streak for too long. In the meantime I'll leave you with this hot screenshot we took while playing.


1 comment:

  1. You missed the best part of this game and that was the hot jazz handing in the background while everyone was boxing.

    ReplyDelete