Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Intro from Shining Force



Song: Intro
Game: Shining Force
Composer: Masahiko Yoshimura

For the past few years I've been working my way through all three parts of Shining Force 3 with a friend. Since I don'y have a Sega Saturn we're playing through on an Emulator, which makes the music sound awful. So instead of thinking of the horrifically out of pitch tunes in Shining Force 3 I chose to look back on the first song you hear in the original Shining Force. 

There are two things I like about the song. The first is that it's simplistic, while at the same time building suspense. It plays when the game first launches and let's you know what's going on in the story. Then at the end it really starts to pick up and shows off the title card. The second thing I like about it is that it's a great representation of what the Sega Genesis' sound chip can do. Growing up I didn't have a Genesis, so I'm more accustomed to the sounds of Super Nintendo. I still prefer the sounds of the SNES, but the Genesis is a lot more grimy. It's got some killer bass, and Shining Force shows that it's capable of making noise that doesn't exclusively sound like electronic farts!

No comments:

Post a Comment