Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Memorable Melodies: City Escape from Sonic Adventure 2


Song: City Escape
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Artist: Crush 40

Most people hate all of the 3D Sonic games. To be fair, a good majority of them are hot garbage. Despite that I think that Sonic Adventure 2 was and still is a great game. I am more than willing to fight anyone who disagrees, because it's one of my childhood favorites. You might be thinking that I'm blinded by nostalgia. However, I played the game a few short years ago with some friends and got A rankings on every mission. It's still good.

To be quite honest, City Escape is one of the main reasons I love the game so much. It's up to a game's first level to hook you, and City Escape does just that. It's the name of the level and the song. The stage starts off with a bang as Sonic escapes a prison plane and uses a piece of metal to start snowboarding down city streets to escape from his captors. Somehow the controls actually work well, and you have to time button presses off of huge jumps to do sick tricks in the air. This is all going on while one of the most dope jams around plays in the background.

City Escape is a dumb pop-rock song, and I love it. Crush 40 made a lot of my favorite Sonic songs, which feels kind of odd to say. I loved a lot of the songs so much that I would listen to them at full blast in the game's sound test mode. I have vivid memories of being in my friend Calvin's house blaring this song and rocking out. We also trained up our Chaos a whole bunch. Luckily City Escape was an easy level to run for getting Choa drives.

City Escape is a song that's dumb fun, and I absolutely adore it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment