Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Dearly Beloved from Kingdom Hearts


Song: Dearly Beloved
Game Kingdom Hearts
Composer: Yoko Shimomura

I like to talk a lot of mess about the Kingdom Hearts games after the original. I do it, because I truly love the original Kingdom Hearts. It was pure, it was new. I could argue that once Sora became a teen and the game got filled with angst its innocence was lost. That's not to say that I dislike the series now. In fact I am anxiously awaiting the release of Kingdom Hearts 3. It'll probably be a solid game, but it will never live up to the original. 

The mobile game Kingdom Hearts Unchained came out recently and I've been playing it quite a bit. It's an average mobile game, but as the title suggests it features Kingdom Hearts characters. While playing through it I've been filled with the urge to go back and play the original. I know that one of my friends has the final mix version for PS3, and I might go borrow it from him after writing this. This is where the song choice for this week comes from.

Whenever I think back to the original release of Kingdom Hearts the main menu music Dearly Beloved plays in my mind. Most people probably think about Simple and Clean, but Dearly Beloved is used in almost every Kingdom Hearts game on the main menu. When I hear it, it's comforting. Not only because of the serene piano, but because it makes the game feel like home. It lets you know you're playing a Kingdom Hearts game. 

The video I featured above is the version of the song featured in the original game. Below I will post another video that goes through every iteration of the song used throughout the series. 

*sigh* Man, I really want to play the original Kingdom Hearts now.


No comments:

Post a Comment