Saturday, March 5, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Katamari on the Rocks from Katamari Damacy


Song: Katamari on the Rocks
Game: Katamari Damacy
Composer: Yu Miyake

Note: I was sitting here on this beautiful Saturday afternoon listening to some hot video game jams and I realized that the memorable melody for the week wasn't up! I've been writing these ahead of time, but for some reason they refuse to auto post. I apologize for that. I have learned my lesson and will not start posting them on my own and not trying to rely on an auto posting.

The time has finally come. For the past few months I've been posting relatively tame music. That time has finally come to an end. We're going to turn the weird knob up to eleven with this entry. 

I discovered the Katamari franchise during my high school career. My best friend was borrowing We Love Katamari from his cousin and he brought it over to my house. He let me play and my mind promptly exploded. For the uninitiated the Katamari games have you playing as a small alien known as The Prince. His father, The King of All Cosmos, accidentally destroyed all the stars in the sky. Oops! It is your job as The Prince to go to earth and roll up tons of objects in your Katamari.

What is a Katamari? Good question. I'm still not too sure myself. It's basically a super sticky ball. The gameplay consists of you rolling it around earth and picking up anything that isn't glued down. Once you complete a level the Katamari is thrown into the sky and made into a star or planet. Yes, it is just as weird as it sounds.

Every time I think about this franchise I get excited. It's so god damn weird, and I love everything about it. To go along with the out of control gameplay the soundtrack of each game is equally ridiculous. It's mostly Japanese, and it's all weird. The song I chose for this week is probably the most well know song from the franchise. I mean come on, it's the theme song.

Katamari on the Rocks opens Katamari Damacy, and it definitely sets the tone for what is to come. It's insane. The lyrics are all in Japanese, but the vocalist occasionally says Katamari Damacy. This song along with most songs in the franchise are very energetic and have a decidedly jazzy feel. If you like this jam, then you'll probably like the rest of the songs in the franchise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment