Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Jake's Theme from Advance Wars Dual Strike


Song: Jake's Theme
Game: Advance Wars Dual Strike
Composer: Yoshito Hirano

When people think of Intelligent Systems they tend to only think about Fire Emblem. I'm going to sound like an asshole here when I say that I wanted Fire Emblem Awakening to be the last Fire Emblem game. Instead it was a huge success. I, and many others loved it. Within the past month we got three new Fire Emblem games. That's cool and all, but I personally would have preferred a new Advance Wars game.

I feel like Advance Wars has been forgotten by everyone but me at this point. That's something I cannot allow. Its gameplay is somewhere in between a turn based tactical RPG and a real time strategy game. You as the player are the commanding officer, so you create units and tell them where to go. Each officer has different abilities and powers that they can activate under certain conditions. You use infantry to take over buildings. Those buildings determine your income each turn, and what units you can build. So unlike Fire Emblem you keep making new units each turn. While not ideal, I tend to make a butt-load of tanks. Taks are cool.

I'm not here to say that Advance Wars is better than Fire Emblem. I am however here to say that the music in Advance Wars is vastly superior to the music in Fire Emblem. Sometimes during tactical combat you need to get amped up, and the music in Advance Wars totally does that. Advance Wars: Dual Strike, the third game in the franchise, introduced a new character named Jake. He loves rock music, so obviously his theme would be totally jammin'. 

Not only is Jake's theme awesome, a majority of the music from the franchise is top notch. If you're a fan of tactical video games this is definitely a series you should check out. It's got great gameplay and music. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment