Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Strike the Earth! from Shovel Knight


Song: Strike the Earth!
Game: Shovel Knight
Composer: Jake Kaufman

I was listening to some game of the year arguments over the past few days and heard people say that they are getting sick of new age chip tune music in video games. I definitely do not feel this way. To show my support for how awesome new age chip tunes can be I thought about what I could put up as a memorable melody. I loved the Undertale soundtrack, but I used a song from it far too recently.

That's when I remembered Shovel Knight. The moment I entered the first level of Shovel Knight and heard Strike the Earth I knew I was going to like the game. It's super energetic and gets you pumped up for the journey to come. Not all of the songs in the game are this upbeat, but they're all very good. Recently I've been way into upbeat chip tune music, so this one really gets me amped up.

What makes this even better is that I put this very song in the edition of Game Time where I talked about Shovel Knight. I thought it had amazing music then, and it still holds up now a few short months later. 

So no, I'm not sick of chip tune music. If it's all as good as this I'm totally down with it. Also if you haven't played Shovel Knight what the hell are you doing? It's available on basically every platform known to man at this point (PC, 3DS, Wii-U, PS4, Vita, and Xbox One).

No comments:

Post a Comment