Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Memorable Melodies: Lively Town from Shining Force 2


Song: Lively Town
Game: Shining Force 2
Composer: Motoaki Takenouchi

On Wednesdays I generally wait for a piece of video game music to pop into my head, and then write about that. This week nothing came to me naturally, so I sat and thought about it for a bit. Then all of a sudden, the town theme from Shining Force 2 exploded in my brain and I got super hyped up. Seriously, this song is amazing. 

It helps that this song brings back a lot of fond memories. You meet a phoenix named Peter, who looks like a turkey with an afro at first. When he gets promoted he looks like a legit phoenix, but when you first meet him in the town he looks ridiculous. He chats you up and then starts following you around. 

Back in the days of the SNES and Genesis the sound chip defined what all of the music on the system sounded like. To me, not having a Genesis, all of the music tends to sound like farting. I'm sorry, but it really does. This is why I am such a huge fan of all the music in Shining Force 1 and 2. It actually sounds like real music, and not a symphony of farts. It has a ton of layers, and sounds unlike any other song on the Genesis that I've heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment