Saturday, February 11, 2012

Odd PSN Download Problems

Recently I've been having problems downloading larger files off of PSN. The downloads I'm talking about are 1GB or more. When they begin the estimated time is around 15-20 minutes, which I'm totally fine with. The issue I've been having is that the longer the download goes the more the time goes up.

For some reason all of the Disgaea 4 patches are gigantic. I haven't played it in a while, but today I decided I should. Much to my dismay the newest patch is 1.7 GB. The estimated time was 25 minutes, so I left to go do some things around the house. When I returned the download was only 10% done and the estimated time had been cranked up to 300 minutes. I figured that something must have gone wrong, so I canceled the download and started it again. The same exact thing happened again.

Deciding to give it one last try I reset the PS3 again. This time the download is working completely fine and I'm not doing anything different. This isn't the only download this has happened with either. In the past few weeks all the demo's I've downloaded have taken a ridiculously long time to finish. Initially I thought it was my internet service provider, but now it seems clear that it's PSN. I've tried using an ethernet cable, but it makes no difference. It seems that the problem rests entirely with PSN.

I've emailed SONY to see if they have an answer to my problem, but I'm sure I'll get an automated response that doesn't help at all. If anyone else is having this problem I would be interested in hearing about it. Slow download speeds for PSN are complained about at length on the internet, but I haven't seen much on this specific problem.

Update: SONY emailed me back, but as I suspected they had nothing helpful to say. The customer service rep. Cameron instructed me to update my routers firmware, turn the PS3 off and on again, and check my firewall. None of these things explain why PSN randomly takes forever to download files.

     -Manny

No comments:

Post a Comment