Friday, February 9, 2018

Plans for 2018

This blog is something that I have been consistently working on for years. I try my best to write a post at least once a month, but sometimes I just can't find the motivation. Video games are definitely something I'm passionate about, but to be honest when I come home from work I'd rather play them than sit here and write about them.

It's no secret that my dream job is to write about video games in some capacity and originally I was trying to use this as a repository of my work, but as of right now it's not where I'd like it to be. The kind of stuff that you'll find on websites that still focus on writing about video games is far above the work you'll find here. I don't think I'm the best writer, but I definitely think I can be doing better.

The only thing I've really been doing on here for a while is a monthly edition of Game Time. It started as a weekly post that I decided to pare down. Then in 2017 I decided to pare it down again, because I was writing about three games with five paragraphs of description for each. That was way too much. The worst part is that the text I was writing wasn't that good. Now that I've trimmed down to three paragraphs I still feel the same way. I just vomit up three paragraphs per game where I describe what they are and loosely give my opinion. It's just not what I want it to be.

My main goal for 2018 is to revamp Game Time yet again. Right now I just don't care about what I'm writing each month. I'm trying to fill some imaginary quota I imposed upon myself. I want to keep the Game Time posts as a way to talk about the various games I've played each month, but it might be better served in a more list-like form. Then I can have one or two long form articles about specific games each month. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet, but I have a few ideas I'll try out at the beginning of March.

The other thing I want to do is try and write more. I feel like I always tell myself this, but then as usual lose motivation. That's why I'm not making some type of personal promise or even saying I'll do that. I'm just putting it out there that I'd like to make more posts. Bringing back Memorable Melodies would be a good start. If I did that I'd probably write a bunch and have them go up as scheduled posts.

In general I just feel really weird about this blog. It should be a fun thing I do in my spare time, but in my mind I treat it like a job. I need to change my personal outlook and then maybe I can start to enjoy this thing again in the same way I used to. I just need to try out a bunch of new stuff and see where it leaves me. Thanks for taking this very weird journey with me as I try to find my place on the Internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment