Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Pursuing My True Self from Persona 4


Song: Pursuing My True Self
Game: Persona 4
Composer: Shoji Meguro

It's been about a month since I've done one of these and I don't really have a good excuse. That's all in the past though, because here I am to tell you how dope I think Pursuing My True Self from Persona 4 is. The reason I chose this song for this week is actually kind of a bummer. Persona 5 was supposed to come out on Valentines day (February 14th) here in the U.S. Now the date has been moved to April 2nd. It's not super far, but it's enough to bum me out. Hopefully the dub will be extar tight now!

The music of Shoji Meguro defines the Persona games I've played. He has a unique style that fits the overly stylish nature of the games. When I think of Persona 4 a very specific art sty;e and aesthetic come to mind, which I think is a rare thing in modern video games. A lot of things have become pretty homogeneous, and that bothers me. Around the time Persona 4 came out I remember games having a very brown color palette. P4 however, is ridiculously colorful and filled with fun, bubbly music.

When I hear the intro to this song I immediately think of the opening cinematic to Persona 4. Hopefully the music in Persona 5 will invoke the same feelings in me. I've tried to steer as far away from any possible spoilers as I can, so I haven't even watched the intro yet.

The iconic nature of Persona music is why I think that Persona 4 dancing all night was able to exist. Not every game series has enough cool music to support its own rhythm game.



No comments:

Post a Comment