Monday, June 9, 2014

The thing I'm most excited about from E3 2014

E3 is a very exciting time of year for me and all video game fans. We get to see exactly what we have to look forward to in the coming months. I could recap everything that E3 has to offer so far, but there are tons of video game websites much more well equipped to do that than I am. The reason I'm writing this is to tell you about what I'm the most excited about from this year's E3. To me it doesn't even matter what else happens this year, because nothing else will affect me as much as a single game announcement did.

Normally I get excited for game announcements, but this time I lost my shit completely and I'm not even embarrassed to admit it. One of my favorite games of all time is Grim Fandango. Back in 1998 when Lucasarts was still around and at its peak Tim Schafer gave the world an amazing story about the land of the dead.



Adam Boyes got on stage and announced that Double Fine (Tim Schafer's Studio) and Disney (They own all the Lucasarts properties now) have gotten together and are going to release a remastered version of Grim Fandango which will debut on PS4. Tim has gotten on twitter since then to say that it will be coming to other platforms, which is awesome.

You might wonder why I'm so excited for a game that was released in 1998. The answer is that Grim Fandango has played a large part in my life. It's one of the driving factors behind my interest in video games and their stories. It's one of the few games that I can honestly say I will never forget. I've played it to completion at least once a year since it's initial release. I remember every puzzle by heart, and can recite almost all of the dialogue. I realize that this makes me sound like a crazy person and I'm willing to accept that.

"Sorry for the wait, Mr. Flores. I'm here to take you now."

What's weird is that I'm not even necessarily excited to play this new version myself. I'm excited that other people get to play this amazing game. It's an old PC game, which is hard to find. On top of that it can't even run on newer versions of windows without a special program. Now people will have the opportunity to see this awesome game without having to jump through hoops in order to do so. 

The fact that I'm getting excited about new Grim Fandango information in 2014 is surreal. I don't even know what to think about this whole thing. All that matters is that Grim Fandango is being re-released and I could not be happier about it.

Note: Yes, I realize that the quote underneath the second screenshot should be Manny yelling at Glottis about his company car. However, I don't care. 

     -Manny

No comments:

Post a Comment