Friday, November 15, 2013

Quick PS4 Impressions and Thoughts

I received my PlayStation 4 earlier today. I'm busy playing it at the moment, but I thought that I'd share a few things.

The first is that I will probably not be posting any videos of myself playing games any time soon. Turns out that Twitch archiving is something that's going to be patched in. On top of that I can't even record myself talking over 15 minute chunks of gameplay to upload, because the headphone jack on my controller doesn't work right. It will only recognize anything if it's pretty much hanging precariously out of the controller, which totally sucks. I would just exchange the console normally, but since it's from Amazon I can't really do that. It doesn't help that I spend a fortune on games, so I can't really justify spending another $60 on a fully functioning controller at this time.

Edit as of 12:40 AM 11-16-13: Turns out I just suck at life. I had to shove the cord into the jack as hard as I could until I heard a pop. Somehow it wasn't in all the way on any of the headphones I tried. So maybe now I can actually post some videos haha.

Luckily, that's the only thing I have to bitch about here. Everything else has been great. People were bummed to find out that you still need to sync trophies, but it goes super fast and you don't even notice when the console is syncing everything. In fact, everything about the console is very seamless. I did manage to stream to Twitch while trying to get my mic to work. It came through in good quality, so I'm pumped for when I get a working controller and they patch in archiving.

Part of what makes everything seem so quick and seamless is the fact that the UI doesn't totally suck anymore. Everything is categorized so most things are fairly easy to find. Messages, trophies, and everything friend related are right at the surface level. The one thing I haven't gotten a chance to mess with yet is party chat, because of my stupid controller.

Going to the XMB in a PS3 game will often send everything to a grinding halt. That is not the case with the PS4. When you push the PlayStation button you can access everything at the system level and go right back into the game with absolutely no issue. I paused Assassin's Creed 4, went to the PlayStation Store to download Resogun, changed my router settings, and was able to get right back into the game as if I had never left it. It's awesome and it'll be even cooler when they add in the sleep feature.

Everyone can rejoice, because the PlayStation Store doesn't run like total garbage on the PS4. In fact it's the exact same as the PS3 store, which means they were just testing it out before. What does suck right now is navigating the store. There isn't much out yet, so everything seems like a gigantic banner ad, which makes scrolling through everything kind of annoying.

So far I've played a bunch of Assassin's Creed IV, which is incredible. I don't know if the PS3 and 360 versions are super incredible looking, or if the PS4 version has some serious graphical improvements. Everything about it looks beautiful. The rain in the opening scene blew my mind! I also played some Resogun, which was pretty cool as well. At the end of a level everything blows up into thousands of tiny particles, which would have crippled the old consoles.

Oh yeah, the controller itself is very comfortable. It feels great. The triggers are a huge improvement over the Dualshock 3. What's going to take getting used to is the fact that there are no start and select buttons. Instead it's the share and options buttons separated by a rather large touch-pad that doesn't do a lot.

I'm pretty into this thing so far. As I become less infatuated with playing it every waking moment I'll be sure to post more!

     -Manny

No comments:

Post a Comment